Citroën FAQs

Home » Citroën FAQs

Q1. Where can I drive my vehicle?

Your Citroën or DS vehicle is covered by Insurance and 24/7 Assistance if you drive in any of the following countries or their islands:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Corsica, Croatia, Cyprus (Greek part only), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (mainland), Germany, Gibraltar, Greece (excludes Islands), Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Sardinia, Serbia (excludes Kosovo), Sicily, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), Vatican City.

Note: Due to conditions resulting from Brexit, collections/returns in London are suspended.
Cars can no longer be taken into the United Kingdom until further notice.

You are not permitted to drive into any countries not listed above.

Q2. Who can drive the vehicle?

A Citroën EuroPass vehicle can only be registered in one name. That person is referred to as the Contract Holder.

The leased vehicle may be driven only by the holder of the Citroën Euro Pass Order Form (the “Contract Holder”) or his/her Partner (i.e. spouse or legal cohabitant), direct descendants or ascendants if they qualify for the scheme (refer “Eligibility”) and hold valid driving licences.

Direct ascendants/descendants may only drive the vehicle locally and cannot drive across country borders without the Contract Holder. The spouse/legal cohabitant can cross country borders, even if the Contract Holder is not in the vehicle.
Other drivers (not descendants/ascendants/spouse/legal cohabitant) can only drive the vehicle if they meet the same Eligibility conditions as the Contract Holder and the Contract Holder is inside the vehicle and unable to drive due to an emergency or exceptional circumstances.

Q3. What sort of insurance do I have?

A. Your Citroën Euro Pass contract includes a comprehensive insurance policy including accident, fire, theft and third party cover with no excess. Refer 'Insurance & Assistance' section for more information.

Q4. Do I need an International Drivers Permit (IDP)?

An International Drivers Permit (IDP), in conjunction with your Australian driver’s licence, is compulsory in some European countries, and highly recommended in others. For the relatively small cost, compared to the overall cost of your holiday, we recommend that all customers obtain and use an IDP in conjunction with their Australian driver’s licence.

Q5. Do I get a full tank of fuel on the collection, like with a rental car?

Your vehicle will only be supplied with 10-15 litres of fuel, unless you have requested and paid for a full tank of fuel (this will be at a higher price than what you will pay at the pump), so you must make a fuel station your first stop. Ensure the collection location gives advice as to where the nearest fuel station is. If you are collecting off a flight late at night we highly recommend you pre-purchase your first tank of fuel.

Q6. If I book a car that is too small/big can I upgrade/downgrade on arrival?

As your vehicle has effectively been built for you and registered/insured in your name, it is not possible to upgrade or downgrade on collection. It is therefore imperative that you choose the size of the vehicle carefully. You are welcome to take your passengers and luggage into your nearest Citroën/DS dealer to ensure you fit before you place your reservation.

Q7. Will I receive a right-hand drive vehicle if I collect my vehicle in London?

No. All vehicles are left-hand drive only.

Q8. Can I take my vehicle on a ferry?

Yes, you can. And when you are booking your ferry, if you are asked for a registration plate number, please insert 'rental car' as you will not know your registration plate number until you collect your vehicle. If you book a ferry that absolutely must have a registration plate number, please contact us 2 weeks before your collection date and we will obtain it for you.

Q9. Do I have to service my car?

Most Citroën/DS vehicles require their first service at either 20,000 kilometres or 30,000 kilometres – at driver’s expense. Refer servicing card delivered with the vehicle for more information. Scheduled servicing must be done at Citroën service stations. The car will produce a warning notification on the dash when the service is due.

Q10. What if I have a problem with the car during my holiday?

The first thing you do is call the 24/7 Citroën Assistance call centre and they will guide you based on the process and limits offered as part of your contract. Your travel plans may have to be modified slightly depending on where and what has occurred.

Q11. I am travelling with children – what is the rule concerning child seats?

The rule in France is that all children under 10 years must be in a child restraint, based on their weight. Other countries may have different rules so please ensure you make yourself aware of these.
Refer Accessories for child seat information.  Note: you are purchasing them, so they are yours to keep. Alternatively, you can take your child seats as long as they meet European regulations.

Q12. What are the age limits for drivers?

The minimum driver age is 18 years and you must hold a full Australian drivers licence. There is no maximum driver age limit.

Q13. Should I book a petrol or diesel vehicle?

When you look at the pros and cons, there's no simple way to determine which is better as it depends on your personal circumstance and how you plan to use the vehicle.
More recently, petrol vehicles have become more popular for Europeans to buy.
The upfront price has become considerably cheaper than a diesel vehicle, and the fuel economy in a petrol vehicle has never been better due to technological advances.
Diesel is still generally cheaper than petrol at the pump, plus a tank of diesel goes further than a tank of petrol, however, it can now take 5,000-10,000kms for a diesel vehicle to be more economical in the long run.

To see recent fuel price information in Europe click here

Q14. What tyres do Citroen Europass vehicles come with?

All of our vehicles, except the Berlingo GRIP, are fitted with assembly-line 'multi-purpose' tyres. These tyres are suitable for varied driving conditions, excluding extreme conditions such as the presence of snow or ice. From November to March, or outside these dates if the weather and road conditions require, you may need a vehicle with winter tyres depending on where you plan to drive.

The Berlingo GRIP has Grip technology, plus mud & snow tyres. This combination meets the legal requirements for "winter tyres". The Grip Control system (a special patented control system) manages all 4-wheels together with the steering wheel angle and brakes, to provide the best grip possible. This means that when the Grip function is activated (via a dial setting controlled by the driver), you will receive improved grip and traction in snowy conditions when travelling at speeds of below 80km/hr. Click here for more information.

You can purchase snow chains locally in Europe from large supermarkets, fuel stations or auto-parts shops in regions that require them.

Q15. Where can I find detail on road rules and road signs through Europe?

Click here for more Information

Q16. Is it true that my vehicle will have red licence plates?

Yes, this is correct and is a requirement for all tax-free lease vehicles so that customs can pick them out and make random checks to ensure no one is cheating the system.
Some customers feel the red plates are an invitation to thieves, however, we have found from experience that thieves are very adept at picking out tourists no matter their mode of transport (eg. coach tours, trains, rental cars and even Europeans on holiday in their personal car). The key is that you are vigilant, trust your instincts, have very good travel insurance and never leave anything of value in an unattended vehicle.

Q17. Can you please tell me more about the different toll roads in Europe.

The vehicle does not come with any highway stickers or vignettes. It is your responsibility to buy one at the border.

There are toll roads throughout Europe and the way they work varies.
- In most countries you pay as you get off toll roads - with the piece of paper obtained when entering the toll road telling the toll booth (either manned or not) where you entered (and when - so take care with your speed as you can get a speeding ticket if you have driven too quickly between toll gates!).  Click here for more information.

Note: debit cards are not usually accepted. Plenty of small notes/coins and standard Visa/Mastercard credit cards are recommended - as well as plenty of patience and a sense of humour.

We suggest you Google “toll roads in Europe” (pay as you go) and “vignettes in Europe” (sticker on the windscreen) and choose the Wikipedia results for the most reliable information. is a good website that can give you approximate toll costs between cities.

Q18. I have booked a car with in-built GPS - how accurate will it be?

It is widely accepted that GPS is about 90% accurate. With this in mind, we recommend you take a detailed road atlas with you, and you never enter a road/street as directed by your GPS if there is signage showing otherwise.

Q19. Will my vehicle come with all the equipment required by individual countries?

Your vehicle will come with an emergency triangle and one safety vest. The safety vest must be stored inside the vehicle (not in the boot). If a situation requires you to exit your vehicle on the side of a road you must put on a vest before leaving the vehicle. Any other equipment that may be required in some countries is your responsibility. Click here for more information

Q20. If I want to keep my car for longer – how do I do this?

Click here for more information on EXTENSION prices and procedure.

Q21. I need to return my vehicle earlier due to personal reasons – how do I do this?

A partial refund can only be considered if the initial contract was for at least 30 days and the return date is at least 7 days before the pre-booked return date. There is no refund for the first 21 days, any ‘free days’, short-term contracts or the last 7 days of the initial contract. Refunds are calculated using the ‘extra day’ price, less 20%, less a $50 Citroën EuroPass administration fee.

Q22. Breathalyser kits in France

French law requires that a breathalyser kit is carried in your vehicle and replaced if/when used. These kits can be purchased for €2-3 from most fuel stations. Note: you will not receive a fine if you do not have a breathalyser kit in your vehicle.

Q23. Air Pollution stickers in France

You can apply for a Crit’Air certificate (sticker) at a cost of about EUR4 only after you have collected your vehicle.
Visit this website:

As the sticker can only be posted to your home address, you should print the receipt you receive via email and refer towards the bottom of the page. There is a section with a QR code and CRIT’Air logo + licence plate number. You should cut and tape this section onto the inside right-hand side of your windscreen, facing out.
While we are informed there is a EUR 68 fine if you fail to have this sticker, it seems there has been a lot of flexibility to date.
The cities that require this sticker are listed on the above website (currently Paris, Grenoble, Lille, Strasbourg, Lyon, Toulouse).


Book your CITROEN EUROPASS Lease by completing the search form above or by calling 1300 789 992  and chatting to your globalCARS Car Lease expert to secure the best deal.